Equifax has announced a data breach, potentially impacting 143 million customers. If you suspect you might be at risk, Equifax recommends you go to the website they have set up to see if you have been affected: www.equifaxsecurity2017.com.
You can also call the Equifax call center at 866-447-7559 to learn about protection measures you can take advantage of because of the breach.
In the event Vantage West Credit Union is made aware of evidence of this breach affecting any of our members, we will reach out to them. As a reminder, Vantage West Essential, Premium, Rewards and Rewards Plus checking accounts are equipped with ID Theft Resolution & Proactive services from CyberScout®, which can help provide assistance in the event of fraud or identity theft. FraudScout® ID monitoring is offered for free with Rewards Plus Checking accounts and available for purchase with other accounts. Learn more.
All Vantage West members are also invited to access our ID Theft Website, powered by CyberScout. It’s updated daily, and it features helpful information about the latest scams and how to avoid them, database breach notifications, newsletter sign up, and more.
Here are tips to help protect your identity.
- Take advantage of a free annual credit report at www.annualcreditreport.com.
- When possible, use biometrics (thumbprint or facial recognition) to login to accounts.
- Make all new passwords different and difficult to guess.
- Include upper- and lower-case letters, numbers and symbols to make passwords harder to breach.
- Be careful with your security questions: information such as your mother’s real maiden name is easy to track down.
- Use two-factor authentication wherever possible.
- Monitor your credit report regularly.