Hispanic Heritage Month runs September 15th through October 15th. We are delighted to celebrate the contributions and culture that members of the Hispanic community bring to Arizona.
History of Hispanic Heritage Month
President Lyndon B. Johnson instituted Hispanic Heritage Month in 1968 to celebrate the rich culture and contributions of Americans whose roots trace back to Spain, Mexico, Central America, South America, and Spanish-speaking nations of the Caribbean (Census.gov).
Did You Know?
- As of July 1, 2018, the Hispanic population of the United States was 59.9 million – 18.3% of the nation’s total population (Census.gov).
- There are 9,986 Tucson area Hispanic small business owners (Hispanic Market Outlook 2019; www.tucsonhispanicchamber.org).
- In 2018, there were 10 states with a population of one million or more Hispanic residents: Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York and Texas (Census.gov).
- Hispanic entrepreneurs have been starting businesses at a pace 15 times the national average over the last decade (www.tucsonhispanicchamber.org).
- Maricopa, Arizona saw an increase in Hispanic population of 34,395 from 2017 to 2018. This represents the largest jump in this population in this period (Census.gov).
- 10,394 Tucson area Hispanics are self-employed www.tucsonhispanicchamber.org).
Celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month in Phoenix
At Arizona State University on October 7, Los Angeles band La Santa Cecilia, as well as poet and journalist Dolores Dorantes, will blend music and word in a performance covering topics such as love, family, war, and separation. The event is 7:00 – 9:00 PM at Crescent Ballroom, 308 N. Second Ave., Phoenix.
Celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month in Tucson
Enjoy the ninth annual Mexican Baseball Fiesta presented by Vantage West and Visit Tucson – this Sunday (October 6) at Kino Stadium. Stop by a Vantage West location to pick up your family voucher and redeem it at Kino Stadium’s box office for $10 for up to eight people (while supplies last). Details: VantageWest.org/mbf.
Happy Hispanic Heritage Month from Vantage West!